Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

HOLY TOLEDO BATMAN! HELP IS ON THE WAY!

Had a truly interesting experience last week. I joined a website that would offer me a support group and lots of information on alzheimer's disease and dementia. They send me an email every week with some really helpful tips about caring for a family member who has Alzheimer's. It's been extremely helpful to me.

This site also has a cancer group, end of life group, caring for a spouse group, etc. What first attracted me to the site was an Alzheimer's Stage group. It helps me keep up with how the disease is progressing in my ex -husband. Very, very useful.

Lots of information on arthritis, on heart disease and no telling what else. Anyway, you might want to check it out. They can also assist you in finding a Senior Living facility, assisted living, whatever your need happens to be.

One of the things I had wondered about was what it would cost to get some respite help. I knew we couldn't afford respite care right now, but my curiosity lead me to click on a link. All it said was "What does it cost for help? You will receive an email." By now I was figuring they were going to send me ads for nursing homes. This was the middle of the night, so I just went to bed and forgot it.

About 8:00 a.m. the next morning, my phone rang. A woman introduced herself, and said "I just received a fax saying you need help." Naturally I told her I couldn't afford help.

"Does he have medicaid?", she asked. Yeah, he does. "Don't worry about it then. Medicaid will pick up the whole cost. You can have help up to 14 hours a week."

Holy Toledo, Batman. This site didn't just promise "pie in the sky". They contacted the correct agency and got the ball rolling.

I'm going to get 14 hours to do something for ME? Wow. The nurse is supposed to be here today to fill out the papers. Then it will be a week before it can start. So by next week, my hair will no longer be hanging in my eyes like an English Sheepdog, I can go exercise and maybe have lunch with the girls. She said I could even take off of an evening to attend my favorite 12-step program.

In case you want to check them out, here's the link:
http://www.caring.com

No comments: