Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

PLAYING HIDE AND GO SEEK WITH DISABILITY

The SSI stopped, I expected life to improve financially. With the end of SSI, Alan's food stamps disappeared. Also, the medicaid stopped. I was told his first disability payment would arrive as a PAPER check around May 20th. He would then receive his next payment on the third of June.

I inquired when his medicaid card would arrive. The lady told me "Oh, that won't start for 24 months." I was stunned.

"I was told he would automatically receive medicaid when his disability started!" I told the lady.

"He will but it won't start for 24 months," she said.
I questioned, "IT'S GONNA BE TWO YEARS?"
"No," she said, "24 months."

I tried to keep from laughing. I could see this lady and I were not on the same page and pleading my case was going to be an exercise in futility. Since I always try to see the "up side" of things, I decided to be grateful the government is apparently hiring the handicapped.

If you're caring for someone with alzheimer's disease, you've come to realize that things disappear, never to be seen again. So I watched the mail like a bulldog to make sure every piece got into MY hands. And I watched. And I watched. And that paper check never came.

Finally on the 4th of June, I called. "His direct express card was sent on April 1." I was told.

I went on a search of the house. Nothing. To make a long story short, about 30 minutes AFTER they cancelled the card, Alan said "Is this Direct Express thing what you're looking for?"

There it was in all it's cancelled glory, folded up in the sheet of paper it came on and with coffee rings on it. He had been using it as a coaster.

I was told they would expedite another card. I never saw it, although, when tracked, it showed it had been delivered by U.P.S. the day after it was sent.

I looked everywhere to see where he might have hidden it. I searched pockets of dirty and clean clothes, in drawers, under his mattress. Nothing. Could it be in his wallet? Who knows...he's lost it.

So they have now sent the third card. Will it come today? I'm sure it will. Will I be alert enough to beat Alan to it? I hope so. I'm thinking about sleeping on the front deck to wait all day for the U.P.S. man.

Every time I cook, it's like a continual Easter egg hunt for pots, pans, and utensils. Nothing is EVER in the same place twice nor in the proper place.

I've been playing this hide and seek game for two years now. Oh excuse me, not two years…that would be 24 months.

No comments: