Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

HE STARTED MUTTERING, "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"

I've been told to keep things simple, and with few words, to speak alzheimer's. God knows I try, sometimes with disastrous results.

Good example was tonight. I still expect Alan to help with chores, because he's always been hyperactive and a hard worker. I do not want him to start feeling useless.

One of the things he can still do is hardboil eggs. I was planning on having one of Alan's favorite things for supper. It's quick and easy. You just make a white gravy and chop up boiled eggs in it. Then you serve it over toast.

"Alan, could you boil me 4 eggs. I'm going to need them for dinner".
"okay"
I said to explain, "You can boil more if you want some but I'm gonna need four."

About thirty minutes he walked into my sun room and handed me a plate with four peeled hardboiled eggs.

Puzzled, I asked "What are these for?"

Making a long boring story shorter, according to Alan it was my dinner. He had fixed himself four also. So I still haven't learned to speak fluent alzheimer's.

A nurse friend of mine told me not to use so many words when I'm telling Alan anything. She said all he would hear, after about the first few words is "blah, blah, blah, blah.

That turned out to be prophetic when Alan left the room one day after I had explained something to him. As soon as he walked into the next room, he started muttering, "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." I couldn't keep from laughing.

If you're a caretaker, I can't stress enough how important for you to be able to laugh. Just make sure the person knows you're laughing with them not AT them. Then remember to laugh at yourself too.

Even though, Alan can't communicate well anymore, he certainly enjoys a good joke and will laugh a huge laugh that makes me want to keep being funny.

No comments: